Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Today during P.E. my classmates and I were having a very serious/jokey debate on who can say the N-word. Another African-American students was on my debate side and two Caucasian students were together a female, and male. Keep in my this student was a sophomore. So the N-word came up. Usually it can be said just out of fun when African American's Sais it but it sounded really discriminatory, when this particular Caucasian student said it. Me and my debate partner stopped our football game and said “you can’t say that, your not black”, and then the other student said “Why not? If black people call themselves that than why can’t I” That’s when the debating started.


Me and my partner didn’t care about the fact that Black people use that term everyday to call themselves that, its very racist to say that, not coming from and African-Americans mouth. The other sides debate was “If I’m dating the N-Word ending in -ger- that’s a different word ending in -ga-“, They kept repeating “We can say if you can say it” Then our reaction came “we can’t stop you from saying the N-Word, but if you say it that’s a death wish” The majority of black people I know wouldn’t fight  over anything, so I’m not guaranteeing that they would get thrown off the bridge, I am just saying that using a very Controversial word like if offense if you are non African-American and say it.

After we ended the debate, they brought it up again “I’m just saying when I say it ending in –ga- I mean my homey”, we said “The N-word comes from the Spanish word Negro for the color black, slave owners adopted that word using it as a bad term towards African-Americans, so know matter how u say it how u want to phrase, if your white then it is not appropriate for you to say?

Not too long ago I was watching a segment on the new where an Old Caucasian women, had used the N-Word on her very popular radio station. She also said ”The only reason why Barack Obama was even elected president was because black people said because he’s I’m black I’m going to vote for him” Did she get a chance to keep her show No. The Caucasian man who had been interviewing her was very upset she tried justifying what she had said he didn’t want to hear any part of it. If some white person is brave enough to use the N-Word I want them to go into a room filled with African-Americans, and say both versions of the N-Word in a speech Lets see what happens.

Please Reply I would love to here Feedback, but can you put in my comment box whether you replied or not.

8 Comments:

  1. One Day Robots Will Cry said...
    I see both sides, I mean, as a white person, I don't say it. But that's just cause I don't like that word.

    BUT, I have to say, I think I advocate with the Sophomore.

    Not just cause I'm a white sophomore...

    But because I think they had a point. Why should we not be allowed to say something simply because of our race?

    People say that calling an African American person the n- word is racist.

    But isn't it equally racist to say that people can't say it unless they're African American?

    Because what you're saying is that because I'm white (I'm using myself as the example here), because I am white, I can't say something, but because you're African American you can.

    Edit that a little bit and you get: "Because I'm white, I can, but because you're African American you can."

    You can change out those races, substitute "Asian" for white. Substitute "Mexican" for African American.


    It remains, you can do something because of your race, but because of my race I can't.

    I hope this makes any sense at all.
    Ebone Marie said...
    What Leah is trying to say is that since you're white, you can't say the N-word because when white people used to say it, it was referred to as a black slave name. Therefore, when a white person refers to a black person as "my nigga", they're really referring to them as a slave, even though they might be trying to just say homie.
    Charlie said...
    To all folks who are getting pulled into this swirling vortex of a debate, I offer the following:

    https://sites.google.com/site/tatumunit/

    This is an incomplete web site I put together a while back with some materials from an excellent book about prejudice and racism called "Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?" Hopefully the materials I've left there can shed some light...I also recommend that entire book, it's a demanding read but well worth it if you're interested in getting deeper into this difficult topic.
    Ianna said...
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
    Charlie said...
    Fire extinguisher time. This debate is worth having, and worth having out in the open. It's a tough issue that is going to require a lot of maturity and tolerance for ideas which might piss you off at first. Stay cool and avoid personal arguments. We will not learn anything down that road we don't already know. I hope my meaning is clear.
    Cameron Leahy said...
    I did a response post on this!
    http://cameronleahy7.blogspot.com/2010/09/response-to-aleahs-post-on-is-n-word-ok.html
    justice said...
    i did a response post to this blog here it is
    http://justicesblogspot.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2010-09-24T16%3A10%3A00-07%3A00&max-results=7
    saber saleh said...
    I wrote about this post!
    http://sabersalehblog.blogspot.com/2010/09/respond-to-aleah.html

Post a Comment